Favicons - making & placing them
Here's how you do it:
First make your favicon
- Use a square-ish image if possible and resize it to 16 by 16 px.
- Save it as a png
- Go to the Dynamic Drive Website & use their favicon generator. There, simply browse to your little png, click create icon, then download it to your computer and save it as favicon.ico
- Use your own "ico" generator - plugins are available for Photoshop etc.
Then upload the favicon to your website
- In Joomla 1.0 - you can usually just upload and save it to the images file in the back end of Joomla (using the media manager). Just overwrite the original favicon.ico
- In Joomla 1.5 - you may need to upload the file to a variety of places - typically it needs to go in the template folder that you are using -
The exact path can be found in your template's index.php file. Look for a link to the "shortcut icon":
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/IN HERE IS THE PATHWAY TO THE FAVICON" />
So either upload your favicon to where is indicated in the template's index.php file or chaneg the above pathway to where the favicon you wish to use is placed.
Clear your browser memory then restart your browser & La Voila!